Few months ago, there was a mishap in which more than 150,000 people lost all their contacts, mails and attachments on Gmail and Google said that the reason behind this was a bug in the storage software update that they had then made. Thus, it is always a good thing to have a backup of your Gmail account, so that there is no damage in case anything gets erased out of your account.
It is also, suggestible to have some vulnerability scanning, for your account at times. If you are using third party applications, then you must consider the regular vulnerability scanning of both your account and your PC as well. Here are the best ways to backup Gmail online and offline.
#1. POP3 to a Mail Client
- Getting a desktop client is a good idea and one of the best ones is the Thunderbird as it is free of cost and is compatible with almost all the operating systems.
- To create a backup of your Google account with the help of a desktop client, you first need to sign in to Gmail and then go to the “Settings” option that is present on the top right corner of the screen and then open the “Forwarding and POP/IMAP” tab that is present.
- Now you need to select the “Enable POP for all mail” followed by the “Save Changes” tab.
#2. Gmail Backup tool
- Here is another tool, that is simple, yet effective. It is the Gmail Backup tool.
- It creates a back up for data that is stored in your account which includes the attachments, contacts etc.
- The tool is free of cost and all that you need to do is first download it and then install it in your computer.
- Once this has been done you have to open your account through this tool and the backup will be automatically created.
#3. Hotmail TrueSwitch
- In case you are looking to create an online backup of your Gmail account, then Hotmail TrueSwitch will do the job for you.
- It will create a backup of the Gmail account in your Hotmail account, once you have entered all the details of your account in the Hotmail account.
- You also have the option of forwarding all the future mails to your Hotmail account after this.
- Here is another online service that will copy your entire Gmail account and many other accounts as well.
- If provides you with a space of 2GB free of cost and you can copy upto 5 accounts in the free account.
- There is a paid version as well and it has more features, but the free version is also good enough.
#5. POP to a different email account
- This is also a good method to create a back up, just that the back up will not be stored in your hard disk, but will be connected to another email id that you have.
- You can do this for Yahoo Mail or any other, but it needs to be one that you open regularly.
- Select “Enable POP for all mail” in case you want a backup of the old emails as well.
These are the best ways to backup Gmail online and offline. You can choose to go for an online method, an offline one or a combination of both.