If you have just splashed out and bought yourself a Samsung Galaxy S4 SCH-I545 from Verizon, you might be interested in knowing how to gain root access to it. The Bootloader for the Verizon Galaxy S4 has been locked so you will not be able to use either the TWRP or CWM methods of rooting your device.
However, there is a way to gain root access to your Verizon Galaxy S4 SCH-I545. Full guide after the video showing you the process:
On your Galaxy, launch Settings > More > About Phone and look at your build number, Provided it ends in MDK you will be able to follow this guide. If it doesn’t, you will first need to download the stock kernel for your build number.
- Samsung Galaxy S4 GT-I9500 stock kernel
- Samsung Galaxy S4 GT-I9505 stock kernel
- Samsung Galaxy S4 SGH-I337M stock kernel
- Switch off your phone and then switch it back on again by pressing Volume Down+Center Home+Power simultaneously.
- As soon as the warning screen appears let go of everything and then press Volume Up to get into ODIN download mode
- Connect your phone to your PC
- Now download VerizonGalaxyS4RootMDK.zip
- Unzip and extract the files to your desktop
- Launch Odin and then click on odin3 v1.85.exe, you should now see a yellow box with a COM port number in it
- If this does not appear you need to run Samsung USB.exe to get the right drivers. Then disconnect your Galaxy S4 and reconnect it to your PC
- Click on PDA, select the MD2 file
- Click on Start. This will enable a pre-release MD2 kernel to be flashed to your phone which will then reboot.
- No go back to Settings > More > About Phone
- Find Build Number and click on it until Developer Mode has been enabled appears on-screen
- Tap on Back and the Developer Options menu will now be visible. Tap to enter it
- Tap on USB Debugging to enable it
- From the MotoChopper directory, find and run run.bat. This is the file that will root your device. Keep an eye on your phone as there will be a couple of things you will need to confirm
- If you see a message saying Exploit Complete the process has been completed. Reboot your Galaxy S4 by tapping on Enter
- You will now see an app called SuperUser. MDK Kernel does not support this so download SuperSU from the Play Store
- Launch it and tap on Continue to allow the SU Binary to be updated
- Now tap on these options as they appear on-screen: Normal, Allow, OK
- SuperSU should now be in place of SuperUser on your Home screen
- Turn off your phone and repeat steps 2 and 3 to get back into Odin Download Mode
- Connect your Galaxy to your PC and, in Odin choose PDA, MDK Kernel
- Click on Start and your stock MDK kernel will be re-flashed. Your phone will reboot again
- Download Titanium Backup and open it to check that you have root access.
This is a guest post from Sourish Nath who blogs at JailbreakModo.com